This ad is expired.
Instructor Support Specialist - SILICON VALLEY
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 48683
University Extension is an equity-minded organization that represents the full diversity of the University of California and demonstrates a sensitivity to and understands the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community; UCSC Extension Silicon Valley combines the academic excellence of the University of California with the expertise of seasoned practitioners. This collaboration provides advanced professional training that addresses the real-world needs of people who work and live in Silicon Valley and beyond.
This position has the option to work a hybrid remote format, which requires a telecommuting agreement and adherence to the UCSC Telecommuting/Remote Work Guidelines. The employee shall be available in a full-time capacity during assigned telecommuting work hours (specific hours to be discussed with supervisor). While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work, and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working at the regular UCSC worksite. The hybrid remote format will be 2-3 days in the office. As business needs evolve, the Department Manager may increase the number of days on site per week.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 02-22-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UCSC Silicon Valley Extension combines the academic excellence of the University of California with the expertise of seasoned practitioners. This collaboration provides advanced professional training that addresses the real-world needs of people who work and live in Silicon Valley and beyond. As part of the University of California, UCSC Silicon Valley Extension is certified by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
The Extension department of Academic Services provides professional development programs, courses and workforce training in Biosciences, Business, Design, Diversity Equity Inclusion, Education, and Technology. We have sustained ongoing partnerships with regional companies, workforce development programs, and professional associations.
UNEX operates year-round and offers approximately 1,200 on-site and remote courses annually. UNEX is based in Santa Clara, CA, right in the Heart of Silicon Valley. We combine professional education and training with the hands-on practicality of Silicon Valley's culture.
More information can be found here: www.ucsc-extension.edu
Under the direction of the Director of Professional Education Programs and Planning and working with a high degree of independence and responsibility, the Instructor Support Specialist works to ensure that the educational experiences at UCSC Silicon Valley Extension are of the highest quality by providing training and coaching to instructors and staff for teaching and learning strategies, including how to leverage learning technologies to support student learning. The incumbent demonstrates a high degree of collaboration and diplomacy as well as problem analysis and creative solutions. The incumbent has experience with a variety of learning technologies, including Canvas, Zoom, Yuja and Simple Syllabus.
Budgeted Salary: $83,520 - $90,995 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, Occasional Weekends
- Shift Includes: Days, Occasional Evenings
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006148 (INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER 3)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
45% - Instructional Design Project Management
- Applies professional instructional design skills to articulate course design, apply learning objectives / outcomes, include supportive learning activities and assessments, and select appropriate technologies and tools to achieve academic goals.
- Consults with faculty and staff to determine methods for delivery of course content and effective use of technology that promotes learner engagement and knowledge acquisition.
- Conducts appropriate job and task analyses in the context of instructional design of technical or specialized training.
- Actively seeks out knowledge of new and emerging learning technologies.
25% - Learning Management System (LMS) Maintenance
- Provide support for testing content and tools to meet ADA requirements, research and document copyright for embedded media and other non-faculty-created content.
- Deploys content on learning management platforms.
- Monitors course progress during instructional term and resolves issues with instructors and others.
20% - Collaboration & Communication
- Works in a collaborative manner with other instructional designers, technology staff, faculty, and teaching assistants and demonstrates diplomacy and tact in all communications.
- Works in a collaborative manner with others in a diverse environment and at all levels in the organization to prioritize work assignments, conduct analysis, and develop recommendations.
10% - Instructor Support
- Supports instructors and staff in the creation of multimedia content, including interactive learning activities, video, or audio components, and oversees the production of course content according to an established schedule.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understands how work within one course may impact work being done on other courses or in other areas.
- Thorough attention to detail.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills. ability to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and negotiation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of instructional design principles and learning strategies, including standard LMS functionality, needs analysis, learning outcomes and assessment.
- Thorough knowledge of the technical tools and platforms required to achieve the delivery of engaging and media-rich online learning content, and of trends in the use and effectiveness of educational technology and learning.
- Thorough knowledge, skills and experience with relevant business software systems. (Canvas LMS, Yuja, Symple Syllabus, GSuite).
- Thorough knowledge of copyright law, ADA compliance in electronic environments, and other regulations and guidelines that relate to online course development and distribution.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, creative team environment under tight deadlines.
- Thorough knowledge of organization policies and procedures, including policies that impact online course development and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of applying adult learning theories and educational methodologies.
- Advanced level skills in application of planning, resourcing and monitoring of effective design life cycles of training and other learning and performance solutions to support the organization.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency